Sunday, September 23, 2012

Day 86: Why is food a reward?


Saturday was a long day. I worked for 6 hours as a TMTA Ambassador. I learned a lot and it was a great experience, but it was absolutely exhausting!! Last night, I was finally relaxing on the couch, just watching some tv. My roommate, Bree, was in her room, and I got the idea for us to go get donuts. Bree and I decided we deserved a treat after a long day of studying and working. After we were heading back with out donuts, we started thinking...Why do we feel the need to reward ourselves or treat ourselves with food? She and her friend had actually just been talking about this earlier....
As kids, anytime we did anything good, we got rewarded with food. I think ALL kids experience this. You get an A on your report card? Let's go get ice cream! You won your basketball game? Pizza party! Even schools pass out fast food coupons when you get good grades on your report card. As kids, our brains were programmed to associate food with happiness or success! 
Why don't we reward ourselves with a fun workout (like a beautiful jog or a zumba class) or a movie night or a game night or start a new hobby, like painting? This would create for a much healthier, much more exciting world, in my opinion!
So, Saturday night, after an exhausting, yet successful day, I should've had a small dance party or gone for a walk or ANYTHING else, other than treating myself to donuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment