Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day 3: Deason Church of Christ


February 19, 2012. This is the day my grandpa suddenly passed away. It's been a few months since then and the days have gotten easier and the breakdowns have become farther apart. I still think about him daily, but God has continued to give me peace and comfort.
But, there's one thing I needed to do to really get some closure. I visited the place he ever stepped foot in.

My grandpa was the most godliest man I knew. His faith was rock solid and everyone around him could see that. He was never condescending, and love shone through his eyes. He respected everyone's beliefs, even if they weren't his own. The older he got the more he wanted to learn about God. He's been on countless mission trips, visited numerous churches, and helped out more people that I could count. Everything my grandpa did revolved around Christ. In fact, my grandaddy died doing what he loved best...learning about His Father.
There was a woman speaking at Deason Church of Christ that Sunday night about "the end times". My grandpa decided to visit just to hear a different perspective and maybe learn a little something more. 
After the sermon, he got in his truck and started to head back home to my grandma. Somewhere along the way, he started to have serious heart pains and pulled over on the side of the road. It was there that his heart finally beat its last beat and he died to go to Heaven.

I was headed to my grandma's today and when I got off the interstate, I started to think about my grandaddy like I always do when I hit Shelbyville, and I was overwhelmed with the need to visit Deason CofC. When I spotted it, I pulled into the empty parking lot. It's a simple, small, white church with trees and horses surrounding it. 
I loved being able to stand right where my grandpa stood soon before he passed. It was like I was there with him. I could feel him there with me. I had tears streaming down my face as I stood there in the parking lot, just thinking about him.
I miss him dearly, but I know that one day, when there will be no more pain and suffering, I'll get to see him again!

No comments:

Post a Comment